The presence of Randwick racecourse, where racing was first held in 1833, brought to the suburb trainers, jockeys and stablehands, and from them developed a local racing industry which continues to this day.
Over the past century 'Newmarket' has stabled some of Australia's best horses. The house was built as 'Newmarket Hotel' on a ten-acre property in 1861 by John Dillion. It was not a commercial success and the buildings, stables and grounds were later bought by wealthy grazier James White, owner of a string of successful racehorses.
Stables fronting Barker Street were, in the 1860's, used by the Sydney Omnibus Company. All vehicles were then horse drawn.
One of White's trainers, Thomas Payten, eventually acquired the property and continued to live and train there until 1918 when the house and stables were sold to William Inglis and Son.
The 'Big Stable' was built in c. 1880 and has had a variety of uses over its lifetime, with a number of prominent racing men including Thomas Payten, Jim Pike, William Inglis and Son, and W.J. Smith having owned or leased the building. During World War II, it was used as detention barracks. After the war, it was then converted into a laminex factory. And in 1983, it made it's silver screne debut as a set for the film "Phar Lap."
The stables were restored in the mid 1980's and returned to it's original use. It received a Royal Australian Institute of Architecture Award, the Greenway Award, for it's conservation.