Alternative namesIlerton HallZebra MotelDate Built1860Date Demolished1979Description
Originally built by Simeon Henry Pearce, first Mayor of Randwick in 1860 it was originally named Illerton Hall. It became known as the residence of medical men of the Randwick District for over 30 years from this time with local doctors Wetherill, Clubbe and Watson-Munro. It is best remembered in the era of the family home of Dr James Adam Dick who named the property Catfoss. Dr Dick was a former army medical officer serving in the Boer War and First World War rising to the rank of Colonel in charge of the base hospital at Rouen, France. In both wars he was mentioned in despatches. In Randwick, he was also the honorary medical officer for the Destitute Children's Asylum, just a few steps away from his residence, in Belmore Road. Catfoss was "An English style of house with gable ends and ivy clad walls. A remarkable specimen of an Australian fig tress of the Port Jackson species grows at the north-east corner of the property and overspreads the footpath with its dense shade. It was said to have been planted by Mrs Sarah Pearce' (Randwick 1909 p.11). Dr Dick married Lillian Louise Wall, daughter of George Wall of Medina in St Marks Road Randwick in a celebrity wedding at St Jude's Church Randwick witnessed by large crowds of local well-wishers. The service took place in 1911, on what would soon become known as 'Anzac Day', 25 April. The house finished life as the Zebra Motel. It was demolished in 1979 to make way for the modern shopping centre complex that now houses Coles Randwick, on Belmore Road.