Our Story
First described by Captain Cook, the island was fortified in 1880-85. The fort was obsolete by 1912 when it became a veterans' home. About 1963, the island became under the control of National Parks and Wildlife.
View of Bare Island Fort across Congwong Bay
Bare Island fort and Botany Bay
Facing west towards Bare Island
View of Bare Island across Congwong Bay
Bridge to Bare Island Fort
Bare Island Fort entrance gate
Bare Island fort
Bare Island Gun Emplacement
Cannon on Bare Island
Bare Island Fort Barracks
Bare Island Fort
Drawing of Bare Island
Bare Island before construction
Bare Island looking south
View of Bare Island looking south-west from La Perouse